We’re not a big Valentine’s Day celebrating family. Sure, we made decorations for the windows and homemade cards for the boys’ friends. We just don’t make a huge commercial deal out of it. After all, do we really love each other any more on Feb 14th than we do any other day of the year? Of course not. I don’t think anybody really does. But it is nice to take a step back and remember all the things we love about the people who are special to us.
So today I thought I’d share some of the simple things we did today that reminded me of how much I love our life!
- Ate oatmeal breakfast together. Nothing fancy but nice to all sit together at the table. It makes me smile to see Ashe climb up in his chair all by himself and wait (semi) patiently for his food. He’s such a big boy now!
- Watched Lennon build a pillow pile for his brother. And watched Ashe squeal with delight as he “dove” into the pile.
- Played Thomas the Train with Lennon while Ashe took a nap. His new thing is to play “Polar Express” with the trains. I love his imagination!
- Daddy was home for lunch and made us pasta and sauce! Especially nice since I had band practice tonight and dinner is always so rushed.
- Played ball outside with the boys. Basketball, football, soccer, baseball. We even ran races and explored the “paths” through the trees. Plus it was 62 degrees outside, so we didn’t even have to wear our coats!
- Made a fresh pot of soup for dinner and fresh ginger snaps for dessert. Daddy’s favorite. Which is only fair since he made us lunch 🙂
- And how could I forget the many hugs and kisses from all three of my boys? There are many times when I wish I could just have a whole day to myself. But I know that I’d be missing all that love!
There were no boxes of candy or flowers for our family this Valentine’s Day. No store bought cards or fancy dinners. Instead there were smiles and laughter and memories. Memories of love that will stay with us forever!
Happy Valentine’s Day from our family to yours!