I love lasagna but until recently I always cheated and just bought the frozen lasagnas for our family. That is until I found (and adapted) this yummy recipe for our meatless family. And it’s so easy that even my 3 year old can help me put it together!
- 1/2 box lasagna noodles (about 9 or 10)
- (2) 28 oz cans crushed tomatoes (sometimes I’ll use 1 can crushed tomatoes, 1 can sauce) OR 2 jars marinara
- (1) 15 oz container ricotta cheese OR (1) 14 oz container silken tofu
- 4c. (16 oz) shredded mozzarella cheese
- 1/2 c. (2 oz) grated Parmesan cheese
- 1/4 c. dried parsley
- 3-4 c. chopped vegetables (spinach, peppers, onions, carrots, zucchini, broccoli, etc.)You can determine how “veggie” you want it!
- OPTIONAL spices (oregano, thyme, basil, etc.)
- Preheat oven to 375°. Spray 13×9 baking dish with nonstick spray.
- Cook noodles according to package. While they are cooking, begin to sauteé vegetables in sauce pot (you will add sauce to this in a bit).
- In a mixing bowl, combine ricotta (tofu), 3-1/2 c. mozzarella, Parmesan, and parsley. Set aside.
- Once vegetables are sauteéd, add all but 3/4 c. sauce to pot. Mix together. Add spices, salt, and pepper to taste.
- Spread 3/4 c. sauce on the bottom of the pan. Lay 3-4 noodles over sauce.
- Cover noodles with 1/2 cheese mixture and 1/3 sauce. Add a second layer of noodles and repeat.
- Add a third layer of noodles. Cover with remaining sauce and sprinkle with remaining 1/2 c. mozzarella.
- Cover with foil and bake for 30 minutes. Remove foil and bake another 10-15 minutes. Let cool before serving.
For all you tofu skeptics out there, you really can NOT taste the difference. My husband was a bit squeamish the first time he saw me using tofu. He was convinced he would not like it. But he was a trooper and tried it anyway. Now it’s one of his most requested meals!
Let me know if you try this or if you have any suggestions to make it even yummier!